President Aquino spent more than 12 hours Friday talking with the
families of the 44 slain Special Action Force commandos discussing
how the government could assist them after the deaths of their loved
ones, a Palace official said.
In a radio interview Saturday,
Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Herminio
Coloma Jr. said the President asked the families about their needs
and the dreams of the dead policemen for their relatives.
Most of the SAF men wanted their families to have decent lives, send
their children to college, and help their parents by giving them
livelihood, Coloma told dzRB Radyo Ng Bayan.
"Sa mga susunod
na araw at linggo makikipag-ugnayan ang iba’t ibang kagawaran at
ahensya ng pamahalaan upang maihatid sa kanila ang tulong at kalinga
sa lahat ng aspetong nabanggit," he said in the radio interview.
"Para sa hinahangad na tulong pang-hanapbuhay, permanenteng
empleyo ang igagawad at tutulungan din sila sa aspeto ng ibayong
pagsasanay at pagpapahusay ng skill set."
To provide them a
source of living, Coloma said the government will provide assistance
to those engaged in farming, fisheries, and trade.
government will also help the SAF men's children go to school even
until college by extending financial grants and counseling, he
"Sa kabuuan, nagkaroon ng unawaan ang mga pamilya at
ang Pangulo hinggil sa pangangailangan na maging matatag sila para
mabigyan ng buong kahulugan ang kabayanihan ng kanilang mga anak,
asawa, o kapatid," he said.
After meeting the families of
the slain commandos, the President also talked with the members of
the SAF around 12 midnight at their headquarters in Camp Bagong
The President thanked them for their bravery and
sacrifices, gave awards to those who fiercely fought in Mamasapano,
Maguindanao last week.
The January 25 raid targeted Zulkipli
Bin Hir, alias Abu Marwan, a Malaysian bomb maker reported to be
hiding in Maguindanao. US authorities had offered a $6-million
bounty for his arrest.